Translate

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Guard your heart

We have been talking about our hearts.  We have studied that Cain thought that his issue was Able, but the real issue was the jealousy that was in his heart.  Yet, Cain was so convinced that Able was the problem that he murdered his brother.   The book of proverb says to guard your heart because out of it comes the issues of life. 



Matthew 6:19-21
19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust does corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust does corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
 
When Jesus said, "treasures" this is not necessarily talking about money or material things.  Your treasure according to verse 21 is where your heart is.  What do you treasure in your life?  Whatever  you treasure will have a special place within your heart.  Should we let worldly things make up the treasure in our hearts? 
 
The Bible says that out of the mouth, the heart speaks, so whatever you treasure in your heart is what you talk about to others.  Are most of your conversations about cars?  Then that is the treasure of your heart.  Are most of your conversation about your family?  Than your treasure is your family.  Is most of your conversation about Jesus?  Than  your treasure is Jesus.  Does your heart moan and complain about troubles and problems?  Than you are living for strife and comfort.  Someone may say, "I want to get rid of strife and discomfort."  Yes, If you complain about it and it is on your mind and heart a lot, that is where  your treasure lies.  Just because you are going through strife and discomfort and trials doesn't mean  you have to hold those things in your heart.  No matter what you are going through, if you are willing to honor God above everything, even your own comfort, your heart will be on Jesus. 
 
Jesus is the desire of my heart, and I guard my heart.  If I find that difficulties, and problems and stray worries and strife is occupying my heart and mind I begin to repent, and place my mind and heart onto Jesus.  Only Jesus gives life.  Only Jesus gives joy, peace and the Spirit of God that gives me the strength to persevere.  No matter what I face, my responsibility is to keep Christ Jesus as the center of my affections.  I don't have to manage or fix my problem. 
 
 I place my mind on Christ and let him lead me and guide me through the trials.    My responsibility is to stay my mind and heart on God, his responsibility is to take me through my trial and fix whatever is wrong.  My only battle is to use the armor of God to keep myself IN CHRIST, that he is the center of my thoughts and affection.  Most people battle to get the things they need and want.  That is not your battle it is the LORD's.  Your battle is to guard your heart, you stay your heart and mind on Jesus, and HE WILL win  your battles.  We are fighting to get what we want, but our only battle is to guard our hearts, when our heart is stayed on JESUS, God gives us the desire of our hearts! 
 
No matter what I go through, if I fix my heart and mind on Jesus, I will have the peace, love and joy of the Holy Spirit to take me through it by the grace of God in the power of the Holy Spirit.   You can't afford to take your eyes off of Jesus to manage your problems.  If you let down the guard on your heart, anger is going to get in, depression is going to get in, panic is going to get in, strife is going to get in.  Guard your heart and don't let anything take your heart away from Jesus as the center of it all.  In doing so, you will find that God makes a way when there seems to be no way.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment